So, you are off to University, but what do you take? It is a matter for you but we give a general list as follows: –
Thinking about what to pack?
There are hundreds of things that you want to take to University. But don’t forget you are not moving into a whole house you may only be moving into a room so there is limited space.
There will also be shops where you are going to be and it may be easier and cheaper for you to buy some stuff locally rather than taking it with you. It is a matter for you. What we find with most students is one of the things that they always do is take too much stuff and then can’t fit it into their room.
It is not only items you might want to take with you but it is other documents you will need. So, we have a check list you might want to think about. There are several key categories of what you might want. This is not an exhaustive list but it is here to help you: –
- Kitchen Utensils
- Important documents
- Bedroom items
- Bathroom products
Important documents you need to take with you to your student accommodation in Brighton are: –
- Valid passport and/or driving licence – you will find this most useful as it is often needed wherever you go
- University admission letter – this is often requested by a letting agent
- Court acceptance letter
- Accommodation contract
- Student finance documents
- Scholarship or bursary letter
- Insurance documents and potentially student contents insurance
- Passport photos in case you need these for the student union
- Prescription copies
- Bank debit card
- Student rail cards – which are also always useful to have
- It is best to have a file with all these documents in and keep in a secure place
What electrical items should I take to my student accommodation?
- Mobile Phones – you will need to take your mobile phone and your charger. We are sure that most students don’t function without them!
- Laptop and case – you might have a laptop you use for college etc
- Printer and any ink you may need
- USB memory stick – always handy to have for students
- Ethernet cable in case you need to use this in a library etc
- Power extension leads
- Headphones which are always useful
- Portable speakers
- Games consoles
- Any device chargers
- Batteries are always useful to have
This might sound an exhaustive list but it is not and we are sure you will have other electrical items you might want to take
What will I need in my kitchen in my student accommodation?
If you are going to be in a shared house, then you should discuss with your other tenants what they are also taking. What you don’t want to do is find that you have got ten toasters in a kitchen because you have all brought one.
You will 100% need to take things such as plates and cutlery, as this will not be included. Most of our houses are on a part furnished basis which means a mattress, bed, desk, chair and wardrobe. This is almost the same throughout all properties. It is rare to find anything else in a property apart from the appliances, but it is always best to look at the advert. We always lay out what is included.
So, with your tenants WhatsApp group. Why don’t you make a list of what other people are bringing so you could bring some items?
We suggest the following: –
- Various crockery to include plates, bowls, mugs, glass, cutlery sets, sharp knives, scissors,
- Various utilities: Tupperware, bottle opener, chopping board, kitchen tongs, ladle, spatula, measuring jug, can opener, peeler, cheese grater, whisk, baking tray,
- Pots & pans: Wok or frying pan, multi tool, saucepan with lid, colander,
- Cupboard essentials: tea towels, washing up liquid, washing up sponge or brush, bin bags, tin foil, cling film
Obviously, there are hundreds of gadgets that you could also put in your property such as: –
- Slow cooker – these are always great for people to have
- Blender – who can go without living without a blender!
- Digital scales – always helpful if you are doing any form of cooking
- George Forman compact grill – there are others on the market but it Is always good if you want to eat healthily
- Food processor – we are in the 21st Century and it is easy to use
- Steamer – if you want to stay healthy then you might want to look at a steamer
- Pyrex measuring jug – always useful when you are cooking anything
- Garlic press – the ever-essential item you need
- Pizza scissors – yes you know you are going to be ordering them!
- Knife block set
- Soup ladle
- Glass oven dishes although you might want something that is more durable
- Non-stick frying pan
- Freezable containers
What would I need in my student accommodation bedroom?
You will find that the room has basic furniture being part furnished, being a bed, mattress, normally a wardrobe, desk and chair. Check the advert to make sure.
But, you may need the following: –
- A lamp
- Curtains or blinds
- Duvet & Duvet covers
- Pillows & pillowcases
- Bed Sheets
- Mattress Protector
- Coat Hangers
- Laundry Basket
- Wall Clock
- Clothes Horse
- Desk Fan
- Ear Plugs you never know what your fellow students snoring might be like!
- Photos of friends of family so that you don’t forget them
What would I need in my student bathroom at the accommodation in Brighton?
Everyone is different when it comes to the bathroom especially between men and women.
But some of the essentials might be: –
Bath towel, hand towel, dressing gown, hand soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, flip flops, toilet roll, hair brush, hair straighteners, hairdryer, make up and remover, nail cutters, tweezers, plasters, razors and shaving cream, sanitary products, contraceptives, paracetamol, medication, personal supplies.
What clothes should I take to University?
You will know better than anyone what you want to take to University but you also need to be aware that you might even have a job interview at some point so you need to take some form of smart wear just in case. Everybody is different but you need things such as t shirts, shirts, tops, dresses, jumpers, sweatshirts, jeans, smart trousers, tights, rain coat, winter coat, underwear, pyjamas, socks, gloves, hats, trainers, slippers, smart shoes, suit jacket, tie, watch, handbag, gym kits, swimming kit and you never know the ultimate fancy dress outfit?
Do I need stationary to bring to my University?
Almost probably. Most people now use computers, you might want pens, pencils, rulers, pencil case, scissors, stapler, staples, highlighters, writing pads, student planner, storage folder, ring binders, printer paper, white tac, post it notes, calculator and obviously the ultimate text book.
It is totally a matter for you and obviously depending on what course you are on and how you feel that you work the best. But don’t utilise your budget on rent for these items try and get them beforehand.
What miscellaneous items would I need?
There are always 101 items you are going to need for University but some of the items that we think are a rucksack, weekend bag, umbrella, padlock, cash, drinking water bottle, thermostat, lighter, hot water bottle, bicycle, iron and ironing board, musical instruments, bible and any other religious text, pack of cards, beers, tea, coffee, milk, keys for home.
We hope that you enjoy your time in your student accommodation in Brighton. If you are still on the search read our previous article on how to find the best student accommodation in Brighton, click here.
When it comes to renting student accommodation in Brighton, Harringtons are here to offer our expert advice. We can help you find the right property whether it be student flats in Brighton or flat shares in Hove. We are a letting agent in Hove with twenty-five plus years of experience. Who better to help find your new student property in Brighton?